Tuesday, November 29, 2011

On the needle...

So, remember how last week I blogged how I was going to cast on for a new project? Well,I kinda got distracted by by two comfy blankets that I picked up at my favorite thrift store for 80c each...




and then I started going through my box of embroidery floss and thought to myself how great these colors looked together...



and before you know it...


 I'm just stitching along, all happy as a clam!


In my defense, I'm still using a needle...just not a knitting one!







Monday, November 28, 2011

Building a rainbow... 5 days of color with Daisy Yellow

Tammy over at Daisy Yellow has posted a fun challenge to build a rainbow with our creative pursuits. Art journal pages, sketches, paintings, knitting, crocheting or mixed media works are all welcome!




Basically, she has assigned a color theme for each day running from December 1st through the 5th, and you can participate by linking up your project for that color. She does ask that everyone plays along with the spirit of the challenge and only posts new work. 





I'll be posting my works and hope that some of you join in on the fun!







Friday, November 25, 2011

Art in progress: Supakitch and Koralie

This week's art in progress video is provided by Supakitch and Koralie!!!





To see more of their work go to Supakitch and Koralie!



Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Saturday, November 19, 2011

What to knit next...

I haven't been knitting for the past few weeks (due to my arthritis flairing up), and I'm anxious to have something on the needles. A hat seems to be the most logical choice with the temperatures dropping each day.

This then leads to the hard part. Which yarn in my stash do I use?

My first inclination was to use my ever-so-lovely Araucania Itata Multy to whip up a beret or tam.




It only took about two minutes for me to find several options over at Ravelry.


knitting berets


But then I realized that it might be more practical to use a "warmer" yarn. 




Not to mention that you just can't go wrong with Kureyon! Again, with the pattern search finder, I had multiple options in no time.


knit berets Ravelry
(Winter SlouchBad Hair DaySandra's Slouchy Beret and Kudo Slouchy Tam)


Stay tuned to see which pattern I cast on!





Friday, November 18, 2011

Art in progress: Jennifer Bardsley

This week's feature is of Montana resident Jennifer Bardsley. 


To learn about her and see more of her work, head on over to her website

Monday, November 14, 2011

From my studio...




So, I'm guessing that you think that I've taken pictures of my latest painting....




Well, guess again!




I painted my laundry detergent box!



Now, before you start with the eye-rolling, let me explain myself. I wanted to make my own laundry detergent but didn't want to put it back in the box from the grocery store. I like handmade things to be held in handmade packaging. Make sense or are you now rolling your eyes at me? :-)

Making my own detergent didn't require any extra flexing of my creative muscles. It is actually quite simple.

There are lots of recipes out there for homemade detergent that are all well-loved. Here's the one I used:
1 bar of Ivory soap grated
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing soda


See! So much cuter than the grocery store box!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Art in progress: Joe

Being a big fan of watching other artists at work (and having been known to spend lots of time on YouTube watching videos), I thought that it would be fun to share with you some of my favorites from time to time.  I hope to make this a weekly fixture of my space so if you have any videos you think would inspire us please drop me a line!



To see more of Joe's amazing work head over here.



Thursday, November 10, 2011

Monday, November 7, 2011

Week in review

So, it has been a crazy (but fun-filled) week for me which unfortunately meant no blog posts for awhile. So sorry!! Here's a little peak into what I've been up to:

Every since I saw this windchime from wine bottles, I immediately knew that I had to make it.




I have plently of empty, label-free wine bottles (thanks to having a husband who makes wine) so the real challenge was to cut the bottles. Having looked at multiple tutorials from various blogs and YouTube, I thought that I was ready for the challenge. I was wrong.






So, my first attempt was an obvious DIY fail, but I am not going to let this discourage me from trying again. Christmas is just around the corner and I have several family members who would love this for their gardens. (BTW, photographing glass is no easy feat!)


Next up is my cycling-inspired painting for my brother-in law. I did go ahead and use the first thumbnail for the layout and am pretty pleased with how it is turning out. 




I do have some touch-ups to finish but nothing too major.



Hope you all are making progress on your Christmas present projects!!