Image Map

Saturday, April 16, 2016

When life gets crazy, I collage

The past nine months have been kinda crazy for my extended family medically speaking. Biopsies, cancer diagnosis, myasthenia gravis, feeding tubes, hospice care, heart transplant, infection, DNR, DNR repeal, DNR again, more biopsies, no cancer but abnormal cells, autoimmune responses, vitreous detachment, and on and on.


This week my grandfather-in-law finally passed away. He was a dearly loved man and left behind an amazing legacy of love and family. We are all taking comfort in the fact that he is no longer in pain and was fully ready for things to end. That being said, is is just hard and sad right now.


As we run around trying to get ready for the 10 hour drive that awaits us, I stepped away to have a little time in my studio to collage. It is what I do when I need to work with my hands and engage color but am a little bit of a mess inside.


Rachel Loewens: When life gets crazy, I collage


What do these textures look like next to each other? How does this color relate to that one? This is my favorite kind of therapy. 


Rachel Loewens: When life gets crazy, I collage


Rachel Loewens: When life gets crazy, I collage


Prints of these and others are available here in my shop


What are your favorite creative coping mechanisms? Would love to hear your stories!