Image Map

Sunday, September 7, 2014

In my studio: getting unstuck

It has been a long time since I've been able to paint on a regular basis. Last week the withdrawal symptoms I felt from going off my arthritis medicine finally stopped so I have been able to find a little time each day to get out my paints and brushes and have at it!

But something odd kept happening. I would be going along just all fine and dandy and then get stuck. This is nothing new for me, in fact, this is something that plagues most artists. The odd part was that I couldn't get "un-stuck", I couldn't move forward no matter how long I looked at a piece.





Then last night, I took my latest pieces outside to work on. Since my lap was my work surface, I brought along my little collection of pens, markers and pencils that I've been using for the last year or so in my sketchbook (you can see those pieces on Instagram). 

All of a sudden, I was no longer stuck! Once I had that white gel pen in my hand my brain immediately told me what to do next. There was just something about having those familiar tools at hand that moved me past my artists block!




These pieces still have a ways to go before they are finished, but I hope to have prints available soon!